Understanding the Needs of Children of Parents with Substance Use or Mental Disorders
Module 6 provides child welfare workers with an in-depth understanding of the various ways in which children are impacted by their parents’ substance use and/or mental disorders, including co-occurring disorders—from prenatal exposure through childhood and adolescent development.
After completing Module 6, child welfare professionals will have an understanding of the following topics:
- Impact of parental substance use on children
- Impact of parental mental disorders on children
- Children’s personal substance use mental disorders (either related to or separate from parental issues)
- Alcohol and drug exploration, use, abuse, dependence
- Mental disorders
- Special focus on acts of self-harm, including suicide
- Screening and assessment of children
- Treatment strategies, systems of care, trauma, youth support (peer to peer, children of substance abuser groups, Alanon, Alateen, etc.).
- Referral resources