The Commonwealth of Virginia has 135 local political entities – 40 independent cities and 95 counties – that purchase, develop and implement services within a semi-autonomous system. The Commonwealth provides policies and procedures to ensure that consistent and relevant services are provided, but its ability to monitor and direct services is limited. Virginia’s deliverables that were designed with sensitivity to its governance structure included:
- Interagency Memorandum of Understanding (PDF - 38 KB) –A signed statement of the collaborative commitment of the lead entities. This document, accompanied by a one-page project overview signed by the Commissioners, was distributed to stakeholders and communities throughout Virginia as a means to market the initiative and establish buy-in for the strategies promoted in the Compendium of Best Practices (see below).
- Targeted Investor and Stakeholder Outreach– Virginia developed materials and presentations, and held a series of regional focus groups to educate participants on the project and obtain input on what should be addressed in the strategic plan. Additionally, a special meeting was conducted with Virginia’s Commissioners and Executive Secretary to establish executive-level support.
- Safe Families in Recovery Project – Memorandum (PDF - 41 KB)
- Safe Families in Recovery Project – Programmatic Summary (PDF - 33 KB)
- Compendium of Evidence-based, Best, and/or Promising Practices (PDF - 120 KB) – A summary of models and recommended strategies designed as a local resource.
- Safe Families in Recovery Project 2004-2009 Strategic Plan – A detailed five-year cross-system Strategic Plan was developed to reach goals related to collaborative information sharing, service delivery, professional development, community development, and sustainability
- Strategic Plan and Executive Summary (PDF - 127 KB) – A detailed five-year cross-system Strategic Plan was developed to reach goals related to collaborative information sharing, service delivery, professional development, community development, and sustainability.